How long you have been in business?

Florida Aviation Academy has been in the flight training business since 1993. Initially operated as South Sky Aviation (still the corporate name) out of Fort Lauderdale International Airport, we moved to our Pompano Beach location in October of 2001.

Where are you located?

Pompano Beach Airpark is conveniently located 20 miles North of Miami International Airport,  11 miles North of Fort Lauderdale International Airport,  and 25 miles South of West Palm Beach International Airport. Please see interactive Google map and driving directions.

What kind of aircraft do you have in your fleet?

Florida Aviation Academy has a fleet of 8 aircraft and two additional FAA approved flight-training devices. It consists of  Cessna 152’s for Private and Time Building (student’s weight permitting),  Cessna 172’s for Instrument Rating, Piper Arrow for Single Complex, Commercial and Certified Flight Instructor training.  The Beechcraft Duchess BE-76 is the aircraft utilized for Multi Engine Training. The flight training devices (commonly called simulators) are the Frasca 141 for Single Engine and Instrument and the Elite AATD (Advanced Aircraft Training Device) for Multi Engine.

Do you have JAA programs?

Our aviation training is done through the United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) program. Our method is less expensive and much faster than the JAA program . First the student obtains his/her FAA Multi-Commercial-Instrument license. This takes 4 months at our school. Upon return to their country, graduates need to convert their FAA licenses to JAA for a cost of $7,500 to $15,000 (depending on the country) and could take up to 6 months. Most of the work is book and theory (11 written exams).  Foreign aviation authorities accept the flight hours and licenses achieved at Florida Aviation Academy, although some may add a few additional requirements. Our program is twice as fast and half the expense of doing it in Europe. The additional benefit to the student is they now have a valid United States FAA license that is accepted at 70% of the world’s airlines with little or no conversion requirement.  This results in more job opportunities for our graduates around the world.

How do you do the whole program in 4 months where other school quote 8-16 months?

This is explained in detail at Accelerated Flight Training Advantage. Florida Aviation Academy conceived and introduced the accelerated training more than 18 years ago, which is now copied (at least in advertising) by some other flight schools. However we still strictly adhere to the policy of only 2 students per instructor and aircraft. We will not admit new students when that number will be exceeded.

Which program is for me?

Eighty percent of our students enroll in the Number 2 Ab-Initio CourseThis course is especially suited to our foreign students.  Number 1 course is strictly for US students who do not require a Multi Engine or a Multi-Commercial license. For domestic students we add the Single-Commercial training to the Number 2 Course for an additional cost. Only the United States and Jamaica have 2 separate Commercial licenses. Everywhere else in the world one can fly both Single and Multi Engine aircraft commercially after completing our Number 2 course. For more details on our courses and the optional programs, go to the course explanation pages.

What is the minimum age requirement to join our aviation career program?

In order to sit for the United States Private Pilot license examination, the student must be at least 17 years old.   To sit for the United States   Commercial Pilot license examination the student must be at least 18 years old. Florida Aviation Academy does not have specific minimum age requirements to enroll in our part time courses, and there is no maximum age for any of our programs.

What are the requirements for acceptance at Florida Aviation Academy?

Students must be able to read, write and speak English fluently, and pass a United States FAA Third Class medical examination (First Class medical examination for Commercial programs) to obtain a student pilot license. Foreign students, in addition to the previous requirements, must be of the appropriate age for the program, have at least 12 years of secondary school education(or equivalent) and will be required to prove to the United States Embassy that they have all the funds for the flight-training program in which they are enrolling, plus the living expenses for the duration of the program, in order to obtain a Student Visa for our full time programs.

When must I apply for admission?

Part time students can start immediately, for full time ab-initio courses, domestic students 30 days prior (the intended start date), the International students 60 days prior in order to complete the requirements for the TSA and Student Visa proceedings.

How do I start the admission process?

The very first thing to do is to request and fill out an Application For Admission and get it back to us by email, fax or regular mail. Once it has been received and reviewed by Florida Aviation Academy, an acceptance letter and an enrollment agreement will be emailed to the student.  Detailed step-by-step instructions on what must be done next are included in that email.

Do I need to provide you with my TOEFL score?

Applicants from non-English speaking countries must complete the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) examination as a demonstration of English proficiency. A score of at least 550 is required and a copy of the test results must be forwarded to Florida Aviation Academy. If it is not convenient for you to complete the TOEFL exam in your country or you are uncertain about your standard of English, you should contact the Cultural Affairs Officer at the United States Embassy in your country. Florida Aviation Academy does not currently offer English language training.

I am a foreign pilot license holder?

Please read the document called “Foreign Pilot License Holders

Can I get credit for my previous hours, training and pilot experience?

Typically 100% of your previous hours and training can be credited if properly logged and backed up with licenses or training records.  This is subject to the Chief Pilot’s audit.

Are loans or grants available for foreign students?

No. In addition foreign students will not be granted student visas unless they can prove to the United States Embassy during their visa interview that they have the full funds for the flight training plus the living expenses.

Can I work in the United States after graduation?

Yes.  If you have completed the CFI programs, after graduation you can work as a flight instructor under the Practical Training Guidelines of the M1 Visa program.  The duration of this privilege depends on the employer.  All employment opportunities must comply with the United States Immigration and Employment laws.

Can I work at your school after graduation?

Florida Aviation Academy is always looking for excellent instructors. If you wish to apply to be an instructor, you will be assessed for placement into our instructor hiring pool upon successful completion of your training.  Florida Aviation Academy selects instructors from this pool as needed.

Do you offer student housing?

Yes we do.  Housing is available located within 10 minutes walking distance from the school and the airport. It is owned by the school and strictly for our own students. It is in the heart of downtown Pompano Beach, within short walking distance to the shops, restaurants and the beach. Each floor has 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, fully equipped kitchen and a living room area.

Is student housing included in the course prices?

No it is not included. The cost for housing is $600 per month shared (2 per room) $1,000 per month single room.

Who needs TSA background checks and clearances?

Only US citizens are fully exempt from TSA background checks and clearances. Both Green card holders and the foreign nationals must go through this process. The only exception is that, if you already hold these licenses from a different country, and you are doing the US licenses and ratings that correspond to those licenses here in US.

Who is required to obtain a Student Visa?

Anyone from outside the United States who is attending a vocational course (such as aviation training) and will be in scheduled classrooms and/or flights of more than 25 hours per week is required to obtain a student visa.

What are the extra expenses for foreign students?

Sevis fee of $200.00 (for visa), TSA fees of $130 for each licenses and rating sought (Private, Instrument and Multi Engine), finger print fee of $99, and a FedEx fee of approximately $80-$125 for sending you your I-20 form. All other expenses are included in the Ab-Inito course prices under materials.

Is food included?

Food is not included.  There are many restaurants and grocery stores located within walking distance of the apartments and the school.

How much should I budget for living expenses?

A minimum of $1,000 to $1,500 per month. Out of that $600 is for student housing; the rest is for food and incidentals.

Does the medical examination have to be done in the United States?

Unless you have a United States FAA designated Medical Doctor in your country who is authorized to perform the required medical examination and issue student pilots licenses, it will be done here in United States when you arrive. Foreign medicals cannot be used in lieu of US medicals for FAA licenses.

Where will the TSA fingerprints be done?

Very few countries around the world have certified United States NATA fingerprint collectors. Your fingerprints will be arranged by the school and taken when you arrive here in Florida.

Jamaican Students

Your check-rides for each license and rating will be administered by an examine who is qualified or both FAA and Jamaican examinations. When you return to Jamaica, all you need to do is to take your documents to the Jamaican Aviation Authorities where you will be issued your Jamaican Commercial license without additional bureaucracy or delay.